Friday, June 14, 2013

Redraws

Another idea I'm going to try: Redraws.

Previously, the players all started with one Redraw (the ability to draw another card if the card drawn is not good enough). After used, the players could gain another by taking a Twist.

Instead, I'm going to let players set up Redraws. A player spends an action to do something that can be used to a later advantage (like setting a trap, or giving a gift, or virtually anything). It takes three set-ups to get a Redraw. It's possible that these set-ups are done well in advance of any conflict, and it's also possible that the players are able to set up multiple Redraws. Of course, it's also possible that the NPCs can find out about these set-ups and do something to nullify them.

On another topic:

Last night I had a great conversation with one of my players about the use of the Tarot Cards. Both of us were wondering if they could be put to better use and I think we came up with some very interesting ideas. I'm mulling them over. And over. And over.

I want the cards to be an integral part of the game, preferably of both the narrative and the mechanic. The balance is that I don't want the cards to limit the play, or to become the focus.

The representation of the NPCs is very evocative and works very well. The cards that the players get to represent their characters: also good. But the actual action of the cards ... they are not a dynamic element. I'm not sure that they need to be, though. Using them to represent the players and NPCs, and thus being able to change them in order to show change in the person connected, that may be what I'm looking for.

For now, we're going to stick to the character format we used last session. Always good to have an open mind to things, but at some point I have to say "Done." Not there yet, but I need to keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment